A basement is a number of things for many people. Few people never go in there until they need to find an old bike, an antique chair, an old tools box or even some old furniture. In contrary, a basement is a part of daily life for some; they go in there every day for one reason or another.
Some people even set it up as an extra room for a member of the family, guests or for when the wife kicks the husband out of the bedroom. Whatever the case, there is a need to take care of your basement.
Caring for your basement requires cleaning the floors, walls, furniture, and most importantly, the air. It is very likely there’s not much ventilation in your basement due to its location and lack of sufficient openings.
This is why you need something like an air purifier to help change the air and keep it fresh all the time. Furthermore, mold, dust, germs and pollen are likely to be flying around your basement.
An air purifier for the basement will help you take care of those and the dampy smell you perceive every time you go there.
Choosing the best air purifier for your basement can be quite a hassle. If you’re reading this post, we assume you’ve been searching for answers.
Here, we’ll not just recommend what we consider the top 5 air purifiers for basement, we’ll also provide the necessary factors you should consider before you make a choice.
Top Air Purifiers for Basement: By Best Performing Feature
Buyer’s Guide: Critical Factors to Consider to Select a Perfect Air Purifier for Basement
A basement is a sensitive spot to clean with an air purifier because it presents the three major forms of air contaminants; particles, germs and odors.
Therefore, you shouldn’t be looking for a specific filter, but a combination of appropriate filters to take care of your basement air.
Also, the noise level may not exactly be a factor, especially if no one is sleeping in the basement. Just be sure it’s not too loud that it disturbs the entire house. Here are things you should look out for;
1. Type of Filter
True HEPA Filter:
More than 80% of all air purifiers use the HEPA filter. However, what makes the difference is the “True” status.
Look out for a True HEPA filter capable of eliminating particles as tiny as 0.3 microns. This means you won’t have to worry about large and microscopic particles floating in your basement.
While the True HEPA filter can take care of particles, it is helpless in the face of odor, smells and VOCs.
This is why you will also need an air purifier for basement that has an Activated Carbon Filter to take care of that horrible smell emanating from your basement. It is not unlikely for rodents to die in your basement. We all know how that smell can be.
All across the world, there are concerns about UV-C and its safety for humans. Truth is, UV-C is, perhaps, the only type of air purifier filter that can eliminate germs, viruses and bacteria in your basement.
Some manufacturers include this feature in a way that is harmless to humans. Whatever the case, it won’t be such a bad idea if there’ll be no one living in the basement.
Size is also a factor of the essence. Is there space in your basement for a large air purifier? Will you place it on a table or on the floor? Will it obstruct the movement of people and pets?
We always advise that you check how much space you have before you select a device for your basement.
Next to size is coverage. Coverage has to do with how much area the air purifier is designed to clean.
To be sure, calculate your basement area by multiplying the length and the breadth. The result is measured in square feet. For instance, if your basement is 27″ x 18″, the area will be 486 square feet.
This means that the air purifier you should choose for that basement must have a coverage larger than 486 square feet.
Price is the most important factor for many consumers. Ideally, it shouldn’t be; but purchasing power and the worsening economic situation around the world makes it an inevitable condition.
If you do find an air purifier for basement that falls within your budget and offers the performance and value you desire, then you should pick it up by all means.
However, you should never settle for a poorly made air purifier because of a budget. You’ll end up spending more than you should’ve because you’ll end up replacing it in a matter of weeks or a few months, or change the filters every other week.
Top 5 Best Air Purifiers for Basement: Deep Dive
1. InvisiClean Aura II Air Purifier
Value for Money
To take care of all contaminants in your basement; from pet dander, mold spores, pollen, dust mites and all other allergy triggers, the InvisiClean Aura II is your best bet.
With a coverage capacity of 1,276 sq ft, this air purifier is designed for large basements. It has a combination of a pre-filter, True HEPA filter, Ionizer and a disinfecting UV-C light for all-round protection up to 99.985%.
It is easy to use and has a sleep mode feature that offers quiet operation. At 170 CFM, this device’s output capacity is one of the best among the top air purifiers for basement.
Specifications and Key Features of InvisiClean Aura II Air Purifier
- 12.34 x 6.25 x 17.75 inches in dimensions
- Weighs 8.9 pounds
- Touch Control Feature
- 4-level fan speeds
- 4-level filtration system
- 1,276 sq ft in coverage
- CADR of 170 Cubic Feet per minute
Reasons to Buy InvisiClean Aura II Air Purifier
- Has a large coverage.
- Multiple filters for efficient cleaning.
- Simple touch control system.
- Adjustable fan speed.
- 1 air change per hour.
- Noise level can drop to 31 db in low fan speed.
- Efficient and easy to use.
Drawbacks We Noticed in InvisiClean Aura II Air Purifier
- Quite large
- Minimal ozone emission.
2. SilverOnyx Air Purifier
Best for Filter Combination
The SilverOnyx Air Purifier deserves a handsome mention for its durability, efficiency and filter performance.
When it comes to eliminating particles, germs and bacteria and irritating odors in your basement, this is one product that deserves a second look.
Whether it’s the white, silver or black color you prefer, what you’re getting is a combination of 5 different filters performing different functions to give you the clean air you desire in your basement.
It also features a sensor that helps to adjust airflow depending on air quality.
Specifications and Key Features of SilverOnyx Air Purifier
- 5-filter stages, including a mesh pre-filter, H13 HEPA and Activated Carbon, UV-C light and an Ion Generator.
- 10.5 x 10.5 x 16.5 inches in dimensions
- 5.1 pounds in weight
- 360-degree air flow
- Switch-off timer between 30 minutes and 24 hours
- Coverage area up to 500 sq ft
Reasons to Buy SilverOnyx Air Purifier
- Impressive coverage
- Great filtration system
- Air quality sensor for airflow adjustment when needed.
- Durable design.
Drawbacks We Noticed in SilverOnyx Air Purifier
- Ozone generator is a concern.
- Emits loud noise at highest fan speed.
3. RENPHO Air Purifier for Basements
Best Air Change Rate
RENPHO may not seem like one of the most popular brands in the air Purifier industry, but it has carved a niche and a large following for itself over the years.
It is a highly-rated air Purifier for basements and features the high-performance H13 True HEPA along with 4 other layers of filters for enhanced air purification.
With a coverage of 480 sq ft, you can be sure of adequate elimination of dust, pollen, mold, pet dander, odor, smoke and other air pollutants.
Specifications and Key Features of RENPHO Air Purifier for Basements
- 5 x 5 x 5 inches in dimensions
- 9.58 pounds in weight
- 480 sq ft coverage
- 4 fan-speed levels
- Has a timer function
- Filter change indicator
Reasons to Buy RENPHO Air Purifier for Basements
- 26 db at sleep mode level.
- Good for small and medium basements and rooms.
- Filtration system has antibacterial coating for germs and other diseases.
- An alarm alerts you when it’s time to change the filter.
- Energy saving device at just 30 watts.
- Air quality display indicated by LED color.
Drawbacks We Noticed in RENPHO Air Purifier for Basements
- No UV-C light to kill bacteria.
- No stated warranty.
4. CALODY Portable Air Purifier
Budget Purifier for Small Basements
We understand that not everyone desires a large air purifier that may cost a few hundred bucks. With the CALODY Portable entry, you can take care of your small basements up to 100 sq feet in size.
It is an extremely portable air purifier that can sit comfortably on a table. It has a combination of highly effective filters such as the H13 True HEPA, Activated Carbon filter and a pre-filter for larger particles.
What’s more, there is an ultraviolet disinfection system that purifies your air by up to 99.99%.
Specifications and Key Features of CALODY Portable Air Purifier
- 2.7 x 2.7 x 6.7 inches in dimensions
- Pre-filter, True HEPA, Activated Carbon and UV light filtration system
- Low-dose level at 30 db
- Comes with USB cable for car use
- 15.4 ounces in weight
- Black aluminium exterior
Reasons to Buy CALODY Portable Air Purifier
- Lightweight and convenient design.
- It is the size of a regular water bottle.
- Filtration combo takes out particles, germs and odor.
- Silent operation.
- Manufacturers assure of UV-C safety.
- Can be used in a car or small offices as well.
Drawbacks We Noticed in CALODY Portable Air Purifier
- Poor coverage
- Can easily be knocked over by pets.
5. AZEUS 7-in-1 Air Purifier
Best for Convenience
Azeus comes with a truly enviable product with its 7-in-1 air purifier suitable for large basements and rooms.
The biggest selling point of this purifier is its advanced tech features, including a remote control for convenient and easy operation.
This air purifier is great for large spaces like bedrooms and basements, giving you added protection against pollen, dust, dander, mold, bad odor and other smells.
It has a coverage capacity of 540 sq ft and can achieve up to 2 and a half air changes in one hour.
Specifications and Key Features of AZEUS 7-in-1 Air Purifier
- 13.8 x 7.1 x 18.3 inches in dimensions
- Weighs 13.77 pounds
- Remote control method of operation
- UV-C Sanitizer is on by default
- 3 fan speeds
- 360-degree aerodynamic air intake
- Air quality sensor
Reasons to Buy AZEUS 7-in-1 Air Purifier
- Convenient operation.
- Great coverage.
- Impressive air change rate.
- Noise level can drop to 23 db at night-time setting.
- Air quality indicated by LED in real time.
- Also includes antibacterial treatment.
Drawbacks We Noticed in AZEUS 7-in-1 Air Purifier
- Quite pricey
- High maintenance cost due to multiple filters.
Comparison of above listed Air Purifiers for Basements
|True HEPA||Activated Carbon||UV-C Light||Coverage||Size|
|InvisiClean||Yes||Yes||Yes||1,276 sq ft||12.34 x 6.25 x 17.75 inches|
|SilverOnyx||Yes||Yes||Yes||500 sq ft||10.5 x 10.5 x 16.5 inches|
|RENPHO||Yes||Yes||No||480 sq ft||5 x 5 x 5 inches|
|Calody||Yes||Yes||Yes||100 sq ft||2.7 x 2.7 x 6.7 inches|
|AZEUS||Yes||Yes||Yes||540 sq ft||13.8 x 7.1 x 18.3 inches|
Your basement doesn’t have to be that part of your house that is always dusty, dirty and gives off a bad smell. You can reduce the dust drastically and minimize how often you need to clean it by installing an efficient air purifier for basements. Our choice is InvisiClean Aura II is for a basement air purifier.
- Best-Selling Aura II UV Air Purifier: InvisiClean has designed its Aura II Room Air Purifier for bedroom to be installed easily for improving clear air quality. These air purifiers for pets utilize a low EMF radiation DC motor to deliver DOUBLE the air output using up to 82% LESS electricity.
- CARB Certified & SGS Tested Products: Our Air Purifiers for home went through elaborate SGS Testing for room air filters and are proven to eliminate 99% of Influenza A H1N1 Virus and E. Coli Bacteria from your air. InvisiClean is a US-based company and California Air Resources Board [CARB] certified to sell in California.
- Proven to Capture Influenza A Virus H1N1: InvisiClean Aura II Air Purifiers for bedroom filters and removes bacteria, odors, smoke, and other common household allergens. Our air cleaners for home eliminate common allergy triggers, including dust, pollen, and pet dander, so that you can breathe better air.
- Optimal HEPA Air Purifier Filtration: Our air purifiers for office features easily replaceable H13 99.98% True HEPA Filter with Activated Carbon Pre-Filter plus an optional Ionizer and a UV-C Light feature. This home air purifier for dust covers 1,276 sq. ft (1 air change per hour) and 319 sq. ft (4 air changes per hour) with CADR: 170CFM / 289m³/h and Power: 110V-220V.
- Features Whisper Quiet & Effective Mode: This HEPA Air Purifier for allergies features an ultra-efficient quiet mode designed to minimize noise while still providing optimum performance for air cleaning. Our air cleaner for bedroom is perfect for baby rooms and nurseries as it runs at 4 speeds – Low, Medium, High, and Turbo for maximum effectiveness.
But if it doesn’t tickle your fancy, you can make a choice from the other products highlighted above.