Without beating around the bush, the answer is YES. You can use a humidifier and air purifier in the same room and at the same time. Humidifiers and Air Purifiers have become very useful appliances for many homes across the world.
But most often, people use them separately to keep their homes fresh and clean as well as maintain the right level of humidity for healthy skin and to prevent allergies.
One question that continues to pop up is whether it is okay to use both of them together in the same room.
Truth is, a humidifier and an air purifier perform different functions. One adds moisture and humidity to the air and the other one removes particles, smoke and odor.
This makes it alright to use both of them in the same room, but you need to take care when you do, as you’ll find out in this post. We’ll show you how to do it right and tell you every other detail you need to know.
Can you put an air purifier next to a humidifier?
No, don’t even consider it. The idea of using them together is reliant on the fact that the mist released by the humidifier would’ve already been broken up in the air before even coming in contact with the purifier.
But when you put them side-by-side or too close to each other, the moisture released by the humidifier can go into the purifier and clog the filters.
This clogging can go on to damage the filter, especially particulate filters like the HEPA filter. An Activated Carbon filter can also be damaged by excess moisture.
Let’s explain how this works; an air purifier works with powerful fans and vents that collect contaminated air in the room and passes them through a series of filters that clean them up and then release them as fresh, clean and safe breathable air.
On the other hand, a humidifier helps to prevent dryness in the air that may become harmful to our skin, lips and nose. It does this by releasing mist into the air, originally liquid in nature.
These two can work perfectly together but we advise that you put them meters apart, because as much as you need clean air, you need some degree of humidity as well.
Can you run an air purifier and a humidifier at the same time?
A Humidifier can be used alongside an air purifier. Yes. You can use both of them in the same room at the same time. In case you’re wondering what a dehumidifier is used for, here’s a clue.
When the room is dry, you need a humidifier to add moisture to the air. While you may use it alongside an air purifier, you should ensure you do not put the two close to each other.
Direct vapor from the humidifier may drop on the purifier and cause some clogging. If well spaced out, these two can work effectively together. They perform different functions and can be used at the same time, and in the same room.
The good thing about combining an air purifier and a humidifier is that none of them inhibits the job or performance of the other.
Things to watch out for when using a humidifier and air purifier in the same room
If you’re suffering from the effects of dry air and contaminants or perhaps, you’re battling with asthma, combining an air purifier and a humidifier might just be the answer you’ve been searching for.
Here are some tips to help you get the best results from using a humidifier and an air purifier.
1. Observe the safe distance between the two
As we mentioned earlier, having your humidifier too close to your purifier might result in moisture clogging the filters.
The best way to enjoy the optimum benefits of using the two appliances together is by keeping them at least three meters or 12 feet apart. If you get this right, the mist will more likely dissolve completely before getting in contact with your purifier.
2. Always measure your humidity level
It may become counterproductive when you try to clean your air with a purifier and have excess humidity at the same time.
Two things are likely to happen; your filters may get clogged by moisture or you may just continue to provide the best breeding environment for mildew and mold, which may then overwhelm your purifier.
At the same time, too low humidity may not help so much. Use a hygrometer to measure the humidity level frequently or get an automated humidifier with a built-in measuring feature.
3. Find the right place for your humidifier
If you’ve ever seen a humidifier in action, it should remind you of the classic whistling kettles. Most humidifiers have to heat up the water before releasing it as mist.
That boiling process makes it virtually hot at all times. You should watch your little ones and ensure they do not go near it. You must also be very careful about placing it where you may easily knock it over to avoid injuries and damage.
4. Watch out for shocks
Like all other appliances, air purifiers and humidifiers have a tendency to cause electrocution when mishandled or not properly connected.
You must take care and be sure they are not placed next to metals or that any exposed areas are not in contact with liquid.
5. Maintenance is key
Many air purifiers have washable filters, just as some water may have minerals that solidify and form residue in humidifiers.
For the best results with these two, ensure you clean them properly- periodically- to keep them performing optimally and for a clean, humid and safe air in your home.
Benefits of using an air purifier and a humidifier in the same room
- Using an air purifier and a humidifier in the same room can greatly improve your air quality by keeping it clean and humid. This is important for comfort and to prevent diseases.
- You can be sure that your home, appliances, and furniture are protected from dryness that can lead to rust and cracks. Wooden furniture will also suffer from this dryness because it can be damaged severely by cracks.
- Using a humidifer and air purifier in the same room is also a good way to prevent allergen and pathogen accumulation in the air. If you suffer from asthma or breathing complications, this can be a great succor for you with clean air and just the right amount of humidity.
- The combination can also help to prevent skin diseases like eczema which are caused by dry skin, low humidity, irritants and allergens like molds, pollen and dust mites.
Drawbacks of using a humidifier and air purifier in the same room
- Noise: Having one noisy air purifier is already a major discomfort. If you add a humidifier, especially the noisy ones, then you’ll have a problem.
- Bacteria and Fungus: Using a substandard air purifier and a good humidifier can be a problem. Humidifiers, unfortunately, support the life of certain fungus and bacteria such as Legionella Pneumophila and if your air purifier is not designed to deal with such, it might be a serious health concern, especially with regards to pneumonia.
- Cleaning: You probably just had an air purifier and only needed to worry about its maintenance. Having that with a humidifier is an extra piece of appliance to clean. Hard water residue and film are major issues with the humidifier, while washing the filter (where stated) is the main part of air purifier maintenance.
Before we conclude, it is important to state that some air purifiers are equipped with humidifiers- working as a 2-in-1 device. If this makes sense to you, just be sure to go for trusted products that offer great value for money.
The key to using a humidifier and air purifier in the same room is caution. Ensure you have the right appliances, properly position them far apart from each other, monitor your humidity level constantly and clean them regularly.
If you do this right, you’re sure to enjoy the endless benefits of having clean, fresh, and relatively humid air in your home. You no longer have to worry about allergens, mold spores, pollen, dust mite and other air pollutants, just as you don’t have to worry about dry air- by using a humidifier and an air purifier together, in the same room.
|LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home & Bedroom - For Allergies and Pets Hair||Check Price On Amazon|
|BREEZOME 60 OZ Quiet Dehumidifiers for Home, Dual-Semiconductor||Check Price On Amazon|
|AquaOasis™ Cool Mist Quiet Ultrasonic Humidifier for Bedroom & Large room||Check Price On Amazon|
|43.3'' Portable Air Conditioners, 3-IN-1 Evaporative Air Cooler w/Remote||Check Price On Amazon|
|BlueDri BD-AS-550-BL Negative Machine Airbourne Cleaner HEPA Air Scrubber||Check Price On Amazon|
|Space Heater, VCK 24" 12ft/s Fast Quiet Heating Portable Electric Heater||Check Price On Amazon|