Air conditioners have remained an important appliance in homes, offices and other business environments for several obvious reasons. Keeping the air properly conditioned is an important factor for comfort and performance.
With air conditioners, you can make the air as cool, warm or dry as you want it to be. While there are very many types of ACs, the window unit remains one of the most popular.
Although the split and central AC units are threatening to displace the need for window units, these durable models have remained relevant for almost a century.
There is no way one can talk about air conditioning without a mention of window air conditioners. These ubiquitous units were invented as far back as the early 1930s and have been an important feature in many homes to this day.
Even with modifications and improvements, there’s one thing that has remained iconic about this unit; the fact that it has to sit on a window.
But you may also wonder, is it possible to use a window AC without a window? What if you needed to move the unit to a room without a window?
Can you use a window air conditioner without a window?
Yes, you can. Many people will simply tell you it’s a lost cause trying to use a window air conditioner without a window. It’s a “window” unit, after all, isn’t it?
But we’ve been around and we’ve seen the amazing things that some households have done with their window AC units.
The window air conditioner has vents in front where cool/cold air is released, grills (opening) around to allow air into the system and prevent overheating, and the rear through which heat is released out of the room.
There are creative ways to use a window unit even without a window.
If you understand that the essence of the design is to ensure heat is released through the back- and water byproducts emanating from condensation- are expelled outdoors, you may have a few ideas on how to work your AC to do the same thing in the absence of a window.
So, what if you can employ other kits or find/create another outlet in your home for this ventilation and moisture release to take place?
How do you install a window air conditioner without a window?
There are two ways you can achieve a window AC setup without a window. One is more popular than the other and we’ll begin with that.
Create a hole in the wall
Sometimes, it can be this easy. But before you go ahead to make a hole in your wall, you must be sure it is a long-term decision and you’re willing to make such alterations to your home.
Also, if it is a rented apartment, you’d need to get permission from the owner. Before you go ahead, be sure there is no wiring, plumbing or any other sub-component running through that part of the fence.
You must also ensure there is nothing on the other side of the wall that will impede the flow.
- Get your tools. you’d need a pencil, diamond core drills, tapes, a hammer, a chisel and so on.
- Pick a spot. Most people would prefer an elevated position, slightly above the lintel, while some others would rather have it below the window level.
- Get to work. Start by getting your measurement. Let’s assume you have a Haier Esa406n-T 6000 Btu Window Air Conditioner with dimensions: at 18.5″ W x 14″ D x 12.44″ H. You’d need a hole of about 20″ in width and 14″ in height.
- The extra space will enable you to have some padding around the unit. Start by using your pencil and tape to get the measurements on the wall, as well as the measurement from the selected spot to the ground, so you know where to begin.
- You can then use the eDiamondTools Dry Drill Core Bits for Brick to make holes within the 4 angles of the rectangle you drew with the pencil.
- Once achieved, you can go on to make as many holes as possible within the rectangular cut. Use you hammer and chisel to take out what is left and clean up the edges to get a perfect shape.
- Install your unit. Put a thin foam padding on the base of the square hole, as a cushion for the air conditioner. Have other people help you lift the unit and insert it into the hole, resting on the padding you placed there. Be sure to drive it in until you have just the front vent as the only visible part. Ensure to insert some padding materials to fill the gaps around the unit.
- Seal the gaps. It is very important to seal these gaps in order to prevent air leaks. There are many ways to do this and many different items you can use, but we suggest you go with the simple method that requires adhesive-backed foam weather stripping, like the MAGZO Foam Strips with Adhesive-2 Rolls.
- This is an open-cell material that can help keep the cool air in and warm air out, as the case may be.
Use it indoor
Another way to use a window unit without a window is to install it indoors and create your own venting apparatus. The simplest method is to fit a storage bin at the rear and connect it to a flexible duct that can channel the heat to the attic.
Be sure not to cover the grills with the bin but restrict it only to the rear area. Use duct tape to seal it around the unit and make it airtight.
Connect the duct to the vent box cut off the storage bin that is taped to the plastic on the bucket part.
You can simply place the unit on a platform at a corner of the room, but leave some room behind for the venting unit. Ensure every part is properly sealed to prevent leaks and you’re good to go.
Top 3 Window Air Conditioners suitable to Install in Room without a Window
1. MIDEA EasyCool Window Air Conditioner [Value for Money]
In the window air conditioner category, there are two types (in terms of external design); the type that exists as a single unit and the type that has the cooling vent and the compressor as two units attached.
If you’re going to be installing your AC anywhere else asides from a window, it is best you go for the single unit due to its size.
The Midea EasyCool product provides that convenience. At 8,000 BTU, the unit can cover a room up to 350 sq feet. The compact size makes it convenient for windowless installation, without requiring additional gear to support the rear.
This air conditioner functions in three ways, as a cooling appliance, a dehumidifier and a fan for specific situations.
2. Keystone, KSTAW05BE 5,000 BTU Window-Mounted Air Conditioner [Best Price]
At 5,000 BTU, this AC has the capacity to cover rooms up to 150 sq feet. This makes the product suitable for small to medium rooms.
It also functions as a dehumidifier, removing up to 1.3 pints of moisture per hour.
Its remote control is ergonomically designed to fit perfectly into your hands and can send commands from any corner of the room.
What’s more, this unit is pretty compact and portable, giving you the freedom to install it anywhere else asides from your window. It also has a 24-hour self-timer for power efficiency.
3. GE 6,000 BTU Electronic Window Air Conditioner [Best Features]
This is another very powerful unit that can be mounted without a window.
It follows the same external design that makes it suitable for non-window installation.
Furthermore, there are amazing features that make this unit a standout air conditioner.
Take the removable filter, for instance, this makes it easy to clean as often as you want to keep it free from clogs that may hamper your AC’s optimum performance. What’s more, it comes with an electronic remote control with LED thermostats and energy saver for more value.
Now you know, You don’t need a window to install most window air conditioners. You can employ any of the other options discussed above, cutting a hole in your wall or creating a venting mechanism within your home.
Whatever you decide, be sure to get all the knowledge you need and ensure you properly seal the gaps to prevent leaks. If you’re looking to purchase a window air conditioner, you can pick from the three products reviewed above and enjoy amazing efficiency and convenience.
|LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home & Bedroom - For Allergies and Pets Hair||Check Price On Amazon|
|BREEZOME 60 OZ Quiet Dehumidifiers for Home, Dual-Semiconductor||Check Price On Amazon|
|AquaOasis™ Cool Mist Quiet Ultrasonic Humidifier for Bedroom & Large room||Check Price On Amazon|
|43.3'' Portable Air Conditioners, 3-IN-1 Evaporative Air Cooler w/Remote||Check Price On Amazon|
|BlueDri BD-AS-550-BL Negative Machine Airbourne Cleaner HEPA Air Scrubber||Check Price On Amazon|
|Space Heater, VCK 24" 12ft/s Fast Quiet Heating Portable Electric Heater||Check Price On Amazon|